Gimbal vs pocket 2 vs software for z-axis video stabilization?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNext
Flat view
thetrystero Regular Member • Posts: 256
Gimbal vs pocket 2 vs software for z-axis video stabilization?

I'd like to get more stabilized video during my travels. I don't always have the luxury of setting up a tripod, and also sometimes I find want to add some dynamism to shots like walking down a museum gallery, or down quaint street etc. The issue is that z-axis bobbing is quite difficult to eliminate.
Since it's for travel, I'd ideally like to get away without a gimbal, but it seems from my tests that's looking less and less likely.

I've done some preliminary tests with my G9+12-60 at the widest angle of view (12mm), Dual IS (haven't tried IS Lock yet) and then stabilizing in DaVinci Resolve. The results are worse than without stabilization because I get some nasty jello effects. I'm probably not doing it right, but is this at all possible in post? I'm just walking down a street as "ninja" as possible, albeit I have to say I require more practice.

The other options I've considered:

1. Weebil-S which can be had new for USD250 in my locale, quite a good price compared to amazon but will be an extra 1kg to drag around, is quite bulky and not allowed in to certain museums, cathedrals etc. (I'm already feeling the dread of carrying this extra baggage around)

2. Osmo Pocket 2. USD500. Quite a bit more than the gimbal, but stealthy and light. Poor IQ in low light. Privacy issues.

What do you think? would better walking/editing techniques help me get away from the heft of a gimbal or the cost/low IQ of the pocket 2?

Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow