Pleasantly surprised at this camera

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MimsyM4
MimsyM4 New Member • Posts: 13
Pleasantly surprised at this camera

I just got the Olympus OMD E-M10 Mark IV a couple of days ago, and am really quite surprised, since it is marketed as a "beginners" camera and sometimes talked down as one.

I photograph primarily wildlife, and wanted a nice small camera I could attach my m.zuiko 60mm macro lens to so that I didn't have to fumble taking the telephoto off my E-M1 Mark III, by which time the insect I wanted to photograph is liable to be gone.

I love the two dials, front and back, on the E-M10. They are far more responsive than the ones on my E-M1, and give a small but satisfying "thunk" when they turn. It's easy to hold (although, I have narrow, long fingered hands) and so light. I don't use the touchscreen much - I prefer to use the viewfinder, and it is acceptable.

I have noticed some slight "rolling shutter" effect when using the focus bracketing on a deceased bee this morning, but the photos still stacked up acceptably in Photoshop afterwards despite the slight distortion.

The autofocus is a little sluggish, but this is not a top of the range camera, and it is still quick enough to capture most things with a little patience. I managed to get clear photos of insects sitting on leaves in a high wind, so the autofocus speed is not terrible.

It performs not too badly at higher ISO - I got a lovely shot of a Longlegged Fly at ISO 1600, and it would have probably come out better if my post processing skills were better! I have only used RAW format so far, so can't comment on the quality of the JPEG.

Here are the two photos I mentioned in this - the deceased bee, and the Longlegged Fly:

ISO 1600, cleaned up in Lightroom

Focus stacked bee. I've never used focus bracketing before, so this may not be the best example

MimsyM4's gear list:MimsyM4's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro +1 more
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV
20 megapixels • 3 screen • Four Thirds sensor
Announced: Aug 4, 2020
MimsyM4's score
Average community score
Olympus E-M1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow