Brief review of Mindshift Panorama

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Martin.au
Martin.au Forum Pro • Posts: 14,218
Brief review of Mindshift Panorama

Backstory: I've been using a Lowepro Event Messenger shoulder bag for years, which was an ideal way to access my camera quickly for photography on the go. When I moved to Tasmania, I found I was walking a lot further, and on more treacherous terrain, than back in Adelaide. A few months of that and I pinched a nerve running through my neck, so I started looking for a backpack more well suited to longer walks.

I started with an old Kata 3N1, which solved the carrying problem, but made access to the camera difficult. Then I found a Mindshift Panorama. The Panorama (and a few other Mindshift backpacks) has a separate camera waist bag that usually sits within the backpack. When you want the camera you release a clip and the waistbag portion can be rotated around to your front to access the camera. There's many proper reviews out there, but here's a youtube vid showing the mechanism in action.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yrD1tM193OI

It works much better than I anticipated, and the bag also double up nicely as a good day pack, with a decent amount of space in the (quite rigid) top section for extra layers, food, etc. There's also a side pocket for water bladders.
From an M4/3s perspective, the waist pack will hold two smaller lenses (In my case a 60mm macro and an 8-18), with a Pana 100-400 and E-m1II sideways above them. It won't hold an E-M1 II and 100-400 in a lens down position as it's around 3cm too short. If I switch lenses, the 100-400 will fit vertically in the bag, with the camera and mounted lens next to it, and the third lens in a pocket under the camera grip.

Martin.au's gear list:Martin.au's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Fisheye 8mm F3.5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +7 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow