Looking for some lens input

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jerry045
Jerry045 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,226
Looking for some lens input

I have been toying with the idea of moving up to an APS-C camera and would like to end up with a minimum number of lenses to cover a similar range as my RX10iv.

I owned an A6000 with both kit lenses, but those lenses were not particularly impressive performers.

But I am very confused by the FE and E mount designations.

As an example, if you look on DPR at the Sony 18-135 E mount lens, DPR says it is equivalent to 27 to 202mm. Yet this lens is listed as E mount as opposed to FE. I am under the impression that E mount lenses do not need a crop factor but using FE lenses on an APS-C you would. So, if one used a Sigma 100-400 FE lens on an APS-C camera you would have a 150-600mm result.  Likewise, B&H seems to add the 1.5X crop factor on all of the E lenses designated for APS-C cameras.

So, what would make for a decent lens lineup for an APS-C camera like an A6100 that could cover a range of about 24-600mm? Less expensive lenses are preferable, and I have no objections to non-Sony brands. But they would need to exceed the performance of the original kit lenses.

Suggestions would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 IV +2 more
Sony a6000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow