E-M1 MK3 blobs of stuff on/in the sensor

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Marko_Finland
Marko_Finland Senior Member • Posts: 1,064
E-M1 MK3 blobs of stuff on/in the sensor

With new covid strains around and countless other things wrong in the world, it does feel a bit petty to complain about camera issues (or "issues"), but thought I'd share anyway...

So I decided to go for the Oly offer of free 17mm f1.2 with the E-M1 mk3. Felt too good of a deal to pass. Ordered the camera from a local shop and picked it up this morning.

I had read this thread about about internal sensor contamination but thought it is surely sorted out by now.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64814503

I decided to test the camera anyways just in case. A bit gutted to find several blobs of stuff in the shots. They are not super prominent but start to become just about visible at around f8. With some dehazing on LR you can really tease them out. At smaller apertures they become more and more noticeable. I've checked the sensor with some magnification, but cannot really see anything on the sensor surface, so I'm inclined to think it might be somewhere in the sensor stack as was concluded to be the root cause in the earlier reported issues at least in one instance.

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64864338

This is what the blobs look like. Some are smaller and some a bit larger. Unlikely to be much of an issue in real life use, but I guess it's not unreasonable to expect a camera in this price range to have a clean sensor (in and out) out of the box. I sent the info to the shop and they will talk OMDS or whatever the new co is called.

The circle around the blob is not from the camera...

Anyone else had something similar recently?

Already ruled out root causes:

- lens, tried with two lenses with same results

- me contaminating the sensor somehow.. nope,  just took the cap off, screwed on the lens and tested it

Marko

Marko_Finland's gear list:Marko_Finland's gear list
Panasonic LX100 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH +3 more
Olympus E-M1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow