What am I missing? Different exposure, same settings

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Colin Creevey Contributing Member • Posts: 576
What am I missing? Different exposure, same settings

Hello all,
I was at a workshop today (studio photography using OCF) where we broke up into small groups and rotated through a few different pre-setup lighting setups. 
Everything was apparently metered to f8 iso100 but after a couple of test shots I noticed that I was blowing out a lot of my highlights (I have highlight clipping enabled for review).  It wasn't just a few highlights either, it was considerable.  
I went to check if another user in my group had the same issue and after enabling highlight clipping on his camera, he did not.  We were both shooting with the same body (R5) and the only difference was the lenses we were using.  He was using an RF 85mm prime (f8 iso100) and I was using a EF 70-200mm.  I had to compensate 1 and 1/3 stops to resolve the highlights blowing out.
The model moved a negligible amount (relative to distance from modifier) which I doubt would have a significant impact.  I understand that a t-stop is more accurate than an f-stop but I don't think that's the case given I had to compensate by 1 and 1/3 stops.
Anyone offer any possible suggestions about what I am missing in my understanding of exposure?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow