Very old family photos - Post yours (TWO only, please)

Started 2 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Tom Axford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,681
Very old family photos - Post yours (TWO only, please)

Nearly all the photographs posted in these forums have been taken very recently.  However, photography has been going for over 180 years now.  Some of us are fortunate enough to have some very old family photographs and it is interesting to compare these with modern photos.

If you would like to share some of your very old family photos, please choose two to post in this thread.  I know some people have boxes full of old family photos, but please choose just two that you think are particularly interesting.

My choice is the following two photos of the same family, my great great grandparents and their children.  Both are large studio photographs that were probably contact prints from glass plate negatives.  The first was taken in 1879 or thereabouts and the image below is a copy of a copy, hence the quality has suffered somewhat.

This photo is unusual (for that time) in being a very large family group.  It must have been quite a challenge to persuade all those children to keep perfectly still for the several seconds exposure time that would have been required!

The second photo is of the parents and their six younger children.  It was taken sometime in the late 1890s.  The vignetting is present on the original studio print (I think it was very fashionable around that time).

Both these photographs were taken in Melbourne, Australia.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow