possible Aperture coupler fault

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vratnik Forum Member • Posts: 66
possible Aperture coupler fault

May I ask you to do a test: With lens removed, turn on the camera and manually set some fake non-CPU lens in the setup menu - no need to set focal length, just put some (low) value in "Maximum aperture", then press done. Is the same F value displayed on top LCD? While manually moving the AI coupler tab (located at 1 o'clock on the bayonet, does the value increase?

Because on my D600 the value seems to be 2 stops higher than that set on the menu and DOES NOT CHANGE when moving the AI coupling lever.

Long version: I have a D600 and a Tokina 35-300 lens. The lens has chip and aperture ring with appropriate ridge to push the tab on the AI coupler on the camera. However, the aperture shown is at all times F11. When I change control (menu f5) to camera's sub-dial instead of aperture ring, the camera displays FEE and cannot take picture.

I don't have any other lens and I need to know whether the lens or camera is bad.

Mechanically everyting looks ok - I set the lens to F32 (min aperture), mount it - the ridge pushes the camera's coupler tab correctly and rotates it to the required position. Changing the aperture moves the coupler.

Without the lens, the coupler can be moved by hand, spring returns it back, no resistance.
I also removed the front cover and bayonet to check on the resistor under the coupler ring- it is clean, looks ok (measured 14.something kOhm. The ring's contacts on the back side of the ring are also ok, clean, not mangled. While the ring and bayonet is assembled, rotating the ring also changes the resistance smoothly, no abrupt jumping in values. I measured resistance from both sides.

I'd like to find a possible fix to that. Can someone at least confirm that rotating the AI coupler ring changes the aperture value? (with non-cpu lens set in the menu)

vratnik's gear list:vratnik's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Carl Zeiss Touit 1.8/32 XF 90mm Samyang 8mm F2.8 UMC Fisheye II
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow