Legacy lenses and sensor size.

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Michael Floyd Regular Member • Posts: 430
Legacy lenses and sensor size.

I've been shooting a small clutch of legacy lenses on aps-c for a while now, firstly on an a6500, more recently on an X-pro3.   I've not had a full frame camera with which to use these lenses on, apart from the obvious field of view change, I'm also interested with respect to how much the image quality is affected by the increased sensor size and (most likely) increased pixel pitch.

My question is whether the following is a passable method by which I can get an idea of any likely gain from using a full frame sensor.   I know it's not perfect for several reasons, I'm just going ballpark here at first...

The method: all shooting with the X-pro3.

- Take a normal shot with a 35mm lens. This is my 50mm equiv control.

- Take a 3 x 1 pano with a 50mm lens. Stitch them together and crop to the same field of view as the control shot. This basically get my 50 back to being a 50, at least as far as field of view is concerned.  Resize this image to the same resolution (pixels width x height is what I mean).

- Compare.

A worthy ballpark method or full of holes?

-

How is the current feeling about the a7 and a7ii cameras for adapted legacy glass?  Have there been sufficient improvements in sensors that there's not much in it compared to my pro3? Or is the sensor size jump still the over arching aspect despite the years between?

-

Below are a pair of highly artful and inspiring images that I've just shot with the method described, I was wanting to raise the ISO so pointed my camera at the darkest corner in my little shack.  Just checking the method at this stage.

Cheers and thanks,  Michael

35mm

50mm 3x1 stitch

Michael Floyd's gear list:Michael Floyd's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Zeiss Loxia 50 +6 more
Sony a6500 Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow