6D Mk II from an SL3 for insect and flower macro, casual birds

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
R_W_R New Member • Posts: 8
6D Mk II from an SL3 for insect and flower macro, casual birds

Hello everyone,

I have some questions and I'd appreciate some more knowledgeable opinions.

I've been using my SL3 since last April or so and it looks like I've kept around 8000 pictures/probably taken double that. I've been thinking about upgrading this winter, I've bought a macro flash (the godox twin one) to get a bit more serious about macro, and now thinking about upgrading my camera.

My main lenses have been a 70mm & 150mm sigma macros, all for taking pictures of plants and insects, I just got a non IS 100mm canon macro as well. I also have a 17-35 L lens I use for taking pictures of the top of mountains/plants in habitat etc.  Having all of these lenses +more I don't think it makes sense for me to go mirrorless.

I have a couple reasons for wanting to upgrade my camera, one big one is that a lot of the pictures I take need precise locations, so having an in camera GPS seems ideal. I know I could get a unit or use my phone to pair, but sometimes I'm backpacking for 2-3 days at a time and need to save the phone battery.

Does it seem worth it to buy a used 6D mk ii? Will I enjoy full frame and the extra 2 MP (probably won't notice the 2MP)? Will it make shallow macro DOF even worse? Will the autofocus be a downgrade compared to an SL3? I use a manual centre point for everything but landscapes in live view, so the centre focus points shouldn't be a major issue. I like the flip out screen for low lying plants + macro on a tripod.

There's a 6d mkii near me for around 650US with 100,000 shutter count, would that be too close to max rating and should I save for a less well used one?

Some random example images I've taken are attached after the wall of text.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thank you,
Rowan

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow