Camera shake rule of thumb needs revising?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
davidwien Regular Member • Posts: 341
Camera shake rule of thumb needs revising?

Both with my RP and R6 I notice that resolution and inherent clarity are so high that I seem to be able to detect camera shake sometimes. At all events, running the images through Topaz Sharpen on the auto blur setting makes a good improvement.

This was shot with R6 and RF16, 1/40sec at f/2.8 (ISO 25600). The lighting in the room is actually on the level of the old gaslight that I recall from my extreme youth. That is, there are only an LED desk light and two monitors behind the camera. Since the room gets no direct sunlight, it doesnt look as bright as in the photo even during the day in summer.

I was unable to process the raw file in PL4 as it seems that there is as yet no correction data for the barrel distortion of the R16, so I used the jpg, removed the blur in Topaz Sharpen and the noise was pretty much completely eliminated with Topaz Denoise. I never expected that the final result would look as good. There may be other ways of optimising this image, but I am not used to using Topaz. A pity that PL4 doesnt have a de-blur algorithm!

I conclude that, while the R6 can shoot almost in the dark, even my stead hands are not enough to guarantee a sharp image. We must throw the "1/focal length" rule out of the window; but what to replace it with?

davidwien's gear list:davidwien's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Canon EOS RP Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM +5 more
Canon EOS R6
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow