50GM... mo' money, mo' problems...

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jhunna Senior Member • Posts: 2,008
50GM... mo' money, mo' problems...

Well they are GOOD problems, but I figured I would share my first day out with the GM.

First off, I have to say that learning how to shoot with f1.2 is a real skill.  You get a lens like this and all you want to do is shoot in f1.2, but focusing is a real problem if you don't know the Sony focusing modes.

I trust the Sony focusing but it doesn't always grab what I want, so that's going to take some practice.

Second, taking pictures of even two people who are side by side is a problem at f1.2, as one person will be in focus, and the other will be out of focus.  The best lens I have ever had prior to this was the 25/1.4 but on m43, so the depth of field was not this shallow.  Probably better for me to keep this at f2.8.

Third, getting the proper iso is important.  I had a flash and alternated between iso 100 and iso 640, which adjusted the I preferred the exposure at 640, because I used less flash.  I wanted to use iso 100, but I couldn't focus on the flash and the lens...

Fourth, this thing takes GORGEOUS pictures.  Even with all the problems, this lens is absolutely worth it. I mean these were some of the best shots I have ever taken, with the most expensive lens I have ever owned.  So I spent the money, and now its time to fix the problems.

jhunna's gear list:jhunna's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica DG Macro-Elmarit 45mm F2.8 ASPH OIS Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow