Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV for wildlife

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
woodrim Forum Member • Posts: 98
Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV for wildlife

I use a Sony mirrorless FF camera and am quite happy with it. I'd be even happier if I could afford the 61mp model. However, instead of buying insanely long lenses, I'm thinking of using an Olympus OM-D E-M10 IV just for the narrower field of view when shooting wildlife when my 500mm on the FF isn't enough. Sony only stuffs 24mp into their APS-C but at 20mp in a 4/3, I see it as a better option because of the pixel density and presumed better resolution.

I would be using 350mm, 400mm, and 500mm lenses with it. Is the IBIS in the camera up to the task with long lenses? I value the image stabilization and sensor resolution capability but do not need much in terms of feature functionality. I shoot manual focus with adapted lenses in A-Priority mode, mostly with spot or center metering, and rarely use rapid advance. So essentially, my needs aren't great other than what I've mentioned.

Does this sound like a reasonable strategy?   I don't see many used cameras of this model showing up for sale but the retail price for new isn't too bad.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Woodrim

woodrim's gear list:woodrim's gear list
Sony a7 II
Olympus OM-D E-M10
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow