DXO PhotoLab & ProPhoto RGB

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,327
DXO PhotoLab & ProPhoto RGB

So I just purchased DXo PL 5 on their BF promo.  One question I had was about gaumet support.  Since I plan on using this alongside Adobe products (which do support ProPhoto RGB) I have read that PL supposedly doesn't....

I've always been told that you should start the widest gaumet possible (so in this case it would be ProPhoto I guess since Adobe supports it) and then "take the loss" further down the line in the workflow.

First, does anyone know if PL5 can in fact support ProPhoto RGB?

Second, does this matter?  My display ony supports maybe 95% of the Adobe RGB anyway, and about half of my work ends up only being posted online (so sRGB).

I think where this color space issue may become a problem is sending files from LR to PL, and then back into LR as the file sent back might only be Adobe RGB.

I did read somewhere that PL5 may support ProPhoto RGB via an ICC profile, but it can't display the full gaumet (I guess most displays, except maybe the high-end ones) cannot display ProPhoto RGB, and many only barely can do the Adobe RGB spec.

I mean I like the results from PL5, but at the same time, I don't want to start getting funky colors when moving back and forth between LR and PL5.

-- hide signature --

(NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread.)

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z6 II Nikon Z7 II GoPro Hero8 Black Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 +9 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow