Resolution confusion!!

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stuart Carlton Regular Member • Posts: 164
Resolution confusion!!

I know I have asked a similar question before but I am sorry, I am being very stupid about resolution settings so if anyone can clarify the following in non technical language I would be grateful!

Fundamentally I am trying to set my displays to give me the best opportunity in refining detail in my photographs and have read and watched a lot of stuff and am still confused.

If I have a 5K iMac set set to Default for display (looks like 2560x1440) I can comfortably read the text but am I getting the best from this display for photo editing? Will this setting give me the best detail? I guess I am confused by resolution vs detail.  Should I be using a resolution closer to the native 5120x2880 (although the text is unreadable then)

I also have a MBP with an external monitor ( 27inch 4K ) which I have managed to use at 4K although occasionally do have to rescale it to enable readable text.

If I have understood this correctly, it is not possible to change the UI scale on a Mac without changing the monitor scale, is that correct? Therefore it is always a compromise between readability and image resolution depending on monitor size and native resolution.

I have obviously fallen into a black hole in understanding so any help in getting me out of it would be very welcome.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow