Trigger happy 5D IV - takes photo on half press

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
5Diraptor New Member • Posts: 8
Trigger happy 5D IV - takes photo on half press

My Canon 5D IV has been very trigger happy for the last few weeks and really bugging me now. If anyone can help then I would be extremely grateful!

Problem:

For a little while now, my 5D has been taking a photo on half press and not full press. I'm very used to focusing with a half press, holding the focus and reframing the image before shooting. In a studio shoot, I like to half press and hear the beep confirming a focus before full pressing to shoot.

But lately this hasn't been happening. A half press of the shutter button will take a photo every time, almost immediately. If I continue to half press after the photo is taken, it will hold the focus and I can take a second photo by full pressing.

Software?

I feel sure that this is a software problem because:

• I have a battery grip installed, and if I half press on this shutter button, the same thing happens.
  • I always use a remote shutter in the studio and the same thing happens again with this, usually a half press will get a focus, but now a half press takes a photo.
  • If it was hardware problem like button being worn, surely this behaviour would only happen on the main shutter button?

My settings:

AF is set to One Shot usually, and I use the standard "Single Shooting" drive mode all the time. I use the Custom C1-C3 modes all the time.

On the Custom Controls section, the "Shutter butt. half-press" is set to "Metering and AF start" which I'm pretty sure is the default.

Attachments:

I also have a Pixel remote shutter connected usually and in the studio I also connect an Elinchrom skyport for strobe lights. Mostly use a 24-105mm f/4L IS II USM lens. Standard canon battery grip.

Notes:

I recently sent the 5D up to Canon HQ to get the C-LOG upgrade. I'm also the sort of person who often plays with the settings to explore, so I could have inadvertantly changed something. However, I have gone through the settings and the manual about 50 times in the last 2 days to see if there's any settings for this, can't find anything! Also can't find anything online, seems jolly unusual.

Thanks in advance for any help really feeling stuck here.

5Diraptor's gear list:5Diraptor's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T4i Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon 6D Mark II
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow