Would you take just an fp L and 20-60mm?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scottelly
Scottelly Forum Pro • Posts: 16,711
Would you take just an fp L and 20-60mm?

I was reading in this thread:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65669891

I have been traveling by car (SUV actually), and I keep thinking about how I could reduce the weight and bulk of my kit, which currently doesn't even fit in my big backpack. Next year I hope to fly to a few places, like the U.K. and Vietnam. I just can't take all my cameras and lenses, so I've been thinking I might get a versatile camera, one zoom, and a nice prime, but I figured I would get a Sony A7r IV. The problem with that idea is I just can't get what I'd consider a great all-around lens for it.

I like how wide the Panasonic 20-60 can go. I've been thinking I might get that lens and a Sigma fp L.

I do still plan to get a Sony A7r IV and Zeiss 40mm f2 Batis first, and I will use my Sigma Art lenses on that with my MC-11 adapter. (14-24mm f2.8 Art and 24-70mm f2.8 OS Art, plus my 50mm f1.4 Art). That is really not a particularly carryable set-up though. I was thinking about getting a couple of small primes to go with the Sony camera that I'll have with the 40mm lens, such as the new Sigma 24mm f2 I (16mm shorter focal length) and the new Sigma 65mm f2 I (25mm longer focal length). Three lenses just seems like a lot though, and not only would it be bigger and heavier than the fp L with a Panasonic 20-60mm f3.5-5.6, but it would cost more to replace, if it gets stolen too.

I wonder if I'm crazy to even think it might make sense to take just one lens and camera though. Would you take just an fp L and a 20-60mm lens on a photo trip?

Maybe I should consider "enhancing" that kit with Sigma's new 90mm f2.8, which Marco has recently used, and posted photos from. Still, I wonder if I will miss my 100-400, which I used extensively on my SD1 Merrill to photograph some wildlife on my trip so far (shooting a coyote, some bison, prairie dogs, prong horn antelope, and long horn sheep). I even shot some distant mountains with that long lens, though most of the time I just used my Nikon with the 24-135mm lens at the long end, rather than swapping lenses on my SD1 Merrill. I remember using my long lens several times down in Chile, shooting wild animals again (flamingos and vicunyas), so maybe it would make sense to at least take the 100-400 along, "just in case."

-- hide signature --

Scott Barton Kennelly
https://www.bigprintphotos.com/

Scottelly's gear list:Scottelly's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Nikon D810 Sigma sd Quattro H Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM Sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM +26 more
Sigma SD1 Sigma SD1 Merrill Sony a7 Sony a7R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow