1st time Rocket Launch(nightime) Shoot- be there sooner....

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
vbuhay
vbuhay Veteran Member • Posts: 4,578
1st time Rocket Launch(nightime) Shoot- be there sooner....

Wanted to experience a night time SpaceX Launch Shot:

Almost missed it.... Blast of  time was 10:20 PM PST.

It was my first time shooting a rocket (SpaceX, Vandenberg AFB - Lompoc, CA) Launch. This is for the Space Force DART Mission. We were almost too late in getting there... we were caught unprepared, unfamiliar with the Location and Terrain, it was a very large location and had a no real time info of the launch. There were many people just like us who were in the same situation as us.... we just stopped by the roadside and started to set up.... I was going to shoot with my Z50 with my 14-24 2,8G on a tripod in video mode. My main camera was my D850 with my Tamron 150-600 G2 mounted on a Monopod.  I know that I was going to need to Bracket my shots and decided to use 5F - 2 stops (0, -4, -2 ,+2, +4)....Shot in RAW, Manual exposure CH. f5.6, ISO 800.... above was some of the results.....

What would you have done different other than getting there earlier.....

By the way due to our excitment and urgency....my video was not focused properly, stilll processing it. We got there and 1 minute later they Blasted off... it was an exciting shoot!

vbuhay's gear list:vbuhay's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +35 more
Nikon D850 Nikon Z50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow