Great addition to my kit

Started 2 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Bender79ita
Bender79ita Senior Member • Posts: 1,164
Great addition to my kit

I have spent some time with this lens, so I feel like I'm ready to give it a review.

The lens is plasticky but doesn't feel excessively cheap, although the build quality is certainly not on par with a G series lens, it gets the job done.

It is a very sharp lens, but not "Sigma prime" sharp. With that out of the way, I have shot many images at different focal lenghts and never been unsatisfied with the optical quality. It is a step up from most aps-c zooms you can attach to your e-mount.

I am sorry that I am not able to provide SOOC shots, but I believe the pros and cons to be visibile from these edited versions aswell.

Sunstars look quite nice already from f8.

A picture showing the out of focus area.

With the sun in the frame, there is some flaring happening.

Out of focus foliage at the wider angles can get a little busy.

Longitudinal chromatic aberrations on highlights probably won't ruin your pictures.

I have also been very satisfied with the autofocus (feels like my Sony 18-135 did, more or less) and the image stabilization (which is really what sets this lens apart from the other offerings: the Sony 16-55G and the Sigma 18-50).

The IS works quite well in allowing you to drop your shutter speed below the reciprocal rule, do panning shots, and do handheld clips.

It makes any aps-c Sony camera a good platform to shoot video on, the focus breathing is very minimal.

The real downside of this lens is its size.

While the 67mm thread and its range is very convenient to pair this lens with a Sony 70-350G, its size can be a little surprising at first and impossible to overcome for some.

If you want one lens that can do everything stills and video, within its focal length, this is it. Just be mindful of its size.

Not a full 5 stars because for the retail price and the size I would have not minded a couple switches for AF and VC... they would have fit

Bender79ita's gear list:Bender79ita's gear list
Sony RX100 III Nikon D810 Nikon D5600 Sony a6400 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +8 more
Tamron 17-70 F2.8 Di III-A VC RXD
Zoom lens • Sony E • B070
Announced: Dec 3, 2020
Bender79ita's score
Average community score
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow