A1000: Mostly Flying Night Herons episode 6: BIFF Again!

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Booted Cat
Booted Cat Senior Member • Posts: 1,919
A1000: Mostly Flying Night Herons episode 6: BIFF Again!

Artificially created BIF opportunities

BIF opportunities were actually scarce on my recent trips to that BIF spot. Some frequenters of the park told me these birds most actively catch fish in the early morning (e.g. 7:00 AM) and late afternoon. I will try these time points in the future, despite their unfriendly light conditions.

This time, a family of three smartly created BIF opportunities for me. The following BIF shots would not have been made possible without their efforts. No, they didn't cast stones at the birds; instead, they threw steamed bun crumbs as far as possible toward the night heron island, attracting fish to swim toward the island, which in turn attracts night herons to fly out to catch these incoming fish (normally, the fish always stay close to a lakeside platform where tourists of the park feed them with bread and steamed bun crumbs, and the night herons hesitate to fly near the platform and catch fish as they don't want to get too close to people).

So, I may as well buy some bread (both as my breakfast and fish food) in the early morning and take a bus to the park, to try the trick myself.

ISO 400, 1/2000s used in this episode

Unlike previous episodes which used ISO 200, 1/1000s, I experimented with ISO 400, 1/2000s this time. How do you think about the overall IQ? Has it improved or degraded?

Incoming attack

BIFF (bird in flight with a fish) back to the island

Other shots

Booted Cat's gear list:Booted Cat's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Nikon Coolpix A1000 +1 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow