camera connectivity - whats the current state of tech?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
phouphou Contributing Member • Posts: 680
camera connectivity - whats the current state of tech?

what i still dearly miss in consumer cameras is good connectivity to share images with devices /storage systems (cloud). In my dreams i come home from a shoot and the camera will connect to my wifi (like my smartphone does) and auto upload all images to the cloud /home server where i have direct LR access (for editing on ipad for example).

While all my cameras allow me to use apps to transfer images via wifi, this process feels slow and cumbersome, and RAW transfer is not always possible. Therefore transfering directly from SD card still seems like the way to go.

Afaik the top of the line cameras offer options like wifi tethering or even ftp server upload, so the technology exists, although cable (usb, lan) still is the fastest way.

Looking at mobile devices network technology (5G, 5GHz wifi) theres still seems alot more potential.

What i wonder about is how many more camera generations we have to wait to see state of the art network technology in them (consumer cameras).

Afterall i feel like (at least for pocketable cameras) one major factor that is making cameras unattractive for the masses is connectivity. Imagine your APSC-P&S fully tethered to your smartphone with auto-processing on the device, so you can instanly share images with much better quality than the phone could give you.

phouphou's gear list:phouphou's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Sony FE 85mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +12 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow