Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
richarddd
richarddd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,416
Re: Do you miss larger sensors?

Ed B wrote:

richarddd wrote:

At the same DOF (and shutter speed and scene illumination and number of MP) there's no real advantage to FF over a smaller sensor of the same general generation.

I'm still trying to process this, but I don't think I agree with you.

If I let the camera make the decisions and shoot in Program mode with my full frame camera, it defaults to f4.0, 1/80 for almost all natural light, indoor images and adjusts the ISO to whatever setting is necessary to provide a good, noise free, image.

I don't know of any one inch sensor camera that's going to come anywhere near the quality it provides at f4.0, 1/80.

Naturally, if I'm shooting in aperture priority, I might choose a smaller aperture that would produce a narrower DOF and require a lower ISO setting.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way.

What exactly are you disagreeing with?

I prefer to make my own decisions on camera settings. If you let the camera make the decision, then different cameras can easily get different results.

However the decisions are made, the same aperture will result in the same DOF. Aperture is actual focal length divided by f-number. All you have to do is set the FF camera to the same aperture to get the same DOF.  The same f-number is not the same aperture.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon G5 X II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow