Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,069
Doesn't look good to me.

Ab S wrote:

tbcass wrote:

I understand. As someone who owns both a Sony Full Frame (42mp not 61mp) and an RX10iv, I find the IQ difference very small and not significant below ISO 800 but your opinion may differ. I wonder if the Tamron lens is as sharp as the RX10iv lens. Because the RX10iv lens is optimized for that body and sensor it tends to be sharper than FF superzooms.

Personally, I could never be happy with only an RX10iv or only a Full Frame because each has its strengths and weaknesses. I also own an RX100VII for walk-around convenience.

Another consideration is the cost. The A7Riv/Tamron choice is twice as expensive as an RX10iv. In APSC mode, you are losing the 350-600mm range. In FF mode you lose the 24-28mm range. Also, consider the A7RIII which is 42mp and $1000 cheaper than the IV right now. That still gives you 18mp in APSC mode. That combined with an RX10iv would give you the best of both worlds.

..I was really impressed by the picture from Foto4x4 https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65684501 with the Tamron 28-200 mm together with the A7R. I don't think you can even match that with an RX10..

The first was shot with a Sony 100-400 GM, not the Tamron. The second with the RX10iii is nearly as good while the third with the Tamron 28-200 is not so good. Take a closer look at the shot with the 28-200 at 200mm. It's terrible when viewed at 100% and full of artifacts apparently in an effort to use sharpening to overcome the lack of optical sharpness. The RX10iv is much better than the Tamron. Look at this crop and how grainy it is. That comes from oversharpening in post. Click on "original size". I'm not trying to be argumentative, just give honest advice. I tried the superzoom lens route and was never satisfied with the results.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow