Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
richarddd
richarddd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,416
Re: Do you miss larger sensors?

ChuckB wrote:

richarddd wrote:

The RX10 iii's 600mm equivalent has a much smaller aperture than the FF camera's 600mm. The RX10 has an aperture of 220/4 = 55mm, while the FF camera's is 600/4 = 150mm. The FF equivalent with the same aperture would be 600mm, f/11.

If you care about DOF and noise, that's a major difference.

DOF at 600mm?? I want all I can get. Advantage small sensor system. Noise? Speaking only for myself and the kind of pictures I take, it can be fixed in post 95% of the time, if it's needed at all.

Yes, FF with a great lens gives 'better' IQ but at age 76 the ergonomics are more important.

You can stop down on FF, so there's no real DOF advantage to small sensor. Perhaps you can stop down more on the small sensor lens, but you're likely to run into diffraction issues that essentially negate any DOF increases.

Sometimes people want shallower DOF, in which case FF has an advantage.

At the same DOF (and shutter speed and scene illumination and number of MP) there's no real advantage to FF over a smaller sensor of the same general generation.

As to acceptable noise, lens quality and ergonomics, de gustibus non est disputandum. I'd take the trade-off in favor of a light weight system most of the time.

richarddd's gear list:richarddd's gear list
Sony RX100 III Canon G5 X II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow