Noise in the Photo or monitor issue? Please help

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
Bill Ferris
Bill Ferris Veteran Member • Posts: 8,253
Re: Noise in the Photo or monitor issue? Please help

sridharj wrote:

SoCalAngler wrote:

It's probably a mix of all/some of them - the distance, heat, slight back focus and light.

I have added a few more images taken with the same combination (+/- 1 day), but a bit closer. The distance to the subject is quite less (around 370mm), so sharpness seems to be better.

Overall, the monitor/computer don't seem to be the issue, its more of the camera and technique (hand-holding a tele lens at max zoom), that seems to be the issue.

Are there sharp RAW images that I can download and compare?

Image 5256 looks much better. The other two still appear to be out of focus. Moving birds are tough.

I use a monopod as much as possible, except for birds in flight. I have a bit of tremor in my hands so even with in body or in lens stabilization I usually need support with focal lengths greater than about 135 mm full frame equivalent

I don’t know of any raw examples from your camera model but the review I linked earlier has a sample gallery and I can see noise in the sky in the images with blue sky - and those were are ISO 100 and 200.

The first two shots you had were at ISO 800 and 1/4000 second. You could have probably shot at ISO 200 and 1/1000 and if on a monopod maybe ISO 100 and 1/500 since the birds were perched.

Thanks. I have a better idea now and have marked your response as the answer. For comparison, I am looking for a full RAW file from any camera+lens combination - wildlife with a telephoto lens. Just so I know what to look for when reviewing my photos

If you visit the "Nature and Wildlife Photography" forum, you'll find plenty of quality bird and bird in-flight photography. The folks there can also provide tips on camera and autofocus settings for this type of photography.

If you use the forum's search tool to search "canon t3i bird photography settings" you may find some posts with useful information, tips and sample photos directly related to your gear.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Bill Ferris Photography
Flagstaff, AZ
http://www.billferris.photoshelter.com

Bill Ferris's gear list:Bill Ferris's gear list
Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Fujifilm X-T20 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow