Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Ab S
Ab S Senior Member • Posts: 1,062
Re: RX10 compared to Sony A7Riv with Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6 Di III RX?

Foto4x4 wrote:

Ab S wrote:

Somewhere in thread of this very interesting topic I read the about the combination of Sony FF with the Tamron 28-200mm f/2.8-5.6 Di III RXD lens (unfortunately I cannot recall who posted).

A sony A7Riv in combination with this lens would not be significantly larger than the RX10iv (I don't look at the price tag here). Okay, you don't have 24 mm on the lens and also no 600 mm, but with the 61 mp of the A7Riv you can do some cropping (to 350 mm equiv @ 20 mp - the resolution of the RX10iv).

Since cropping will most of the time be in the center of the FOV you will have optimal sharpness of the lens.

It would be very interesting if someone here on the forum has both the a Sony FF with this Tamron and an RX10 camera, to see a sharpness/resolution comparison (with enough light allowing base iso value of the RX10 camera).

Somebody?

I always had in mind that the successor of my RX10 will be the RX10iv, now I am doubting..

PS: For resolution arguments I would not change a RX10 camera (20 mp) with a FF of 24 or even 30 mp (except for low light), but the A7Riv with its 61 mp would be interesting: a combination with this Tamron lens for travel and all the freedom to use other lenses for specific situation.

It may have been my post. I can't completely supply what you wanted but the following may help you and others when considering the options.

1. Camera Size.

I always found the RX10III or IV rather bulky for a "compact". Clearly the A7RIV + 28-200 sent much different in many ways.

2. Image Quality.

I don't have the RX10III anymore, so I can't take an exact same scene but I did find two similar images taken some time apart. Unfortunately I don't have water dragon shot with my 28-200 in anything like similar conditions. However these two are both taken at 600mm eqv focal length though the FF one is taken with a 100-400GM so it does resolve very well. For the record, both have been post processed with some sharpening and noise reduction.

A7RIII:

I took this with an A7RIII in crop mode so the resulting image is about 20Mp

RX10III:

I considered this at the time I shot it as one of the sharpest images I ever took with the RX10III. It still pleases me and certainly show off the lens and sensor pretty well

Tamron 28-200:

Here is an example of what the 28-200 is capable of. For a superzoom, it's about as good as it gets in my view. Since I took this photo, I have updated to an A7RIV but really there isn't that big a gap between the two.

In your PS, you make a completely valid observation. I tried M4/3 for a time, an EM1.2 plus a couple of pro lenses which at the time easily were better than Sony's APS-C offerings. When I started to consider FF, I realised that like your comment, why switch systems unless I gain some significant advantage. To try out my theory, I bought a secondhand A7RII and I quickly realised the advantage of extra MPs. So much so that I sold all my M4/3 and APS-C gear to fund the transition. I have so enjoyed the move that I've bought several G and GM lenses (see my gear list) but wanting a very flexible lens I bought the Tamron and it has not disappointed me. I use it mainly for travel but there are times I need faster due to light and background blur and either wider or longer. Although a RX10III of IV provide some range advantages, they cannot go wide enough, fast enough and even though they're not bad at 600mm, they cannot compete with Sony's 200-600G for wildlife (I am happy with the 100-400GM with a T/C because of size and close focus advantages).

Again, I am not knocking the RX10s or RX100s for that matter, I love having the RX100VI and will keep it until it dies since it's so darn versatile for its size, but I was simply not satisfied enough (FOR ME) with them to be my only camera and once I started shooting with FF, I completely stopped using the RX10III so it got sold. About the only thing I may look at in the future is a successor to the A7C. Right now, the first version has too many compromises to warrant investing. But the compactness with decent lenses does have some appeal. whether it's worth getting while I have the RX100VI is something I would grapple with.

Take the foregoing with a grain of salt if you disagree. that's fine by me.

Thanks, this is really informative! The results at the 200 mm end of the Tamron lens coupled to the A7R are really amazing, I think also in absolute sense (not only for a superzoom)! If you have some more examples of the Tamron (also at other focal lengths and aperture value) I would be very thankful!

Kind regards,

-- hide signature --

Ab

Ab S's gear list:Ab S's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow