Lenses with beautiful rendering.

Started 5 days ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Strobist Forum Member • Posts: 56
Lenses with beautiful rendering.

In the age of the lemmings echo chamber screaming "but is it sharp?!?!" , it would be refreshing to talk about lenses that renders beautifully (a matter of taste) rather than obsessive over sharpness.

I can start by two good ones:

The Panasonic Leica 15mm 1.7 (micro four thirds)

This lens has a beautiful rendering, and a nice falloff between focus and out of focus.

(compare this to any modern Sigma lens, the Sigma rendering is infamously boring - but then I have never seen a Sigma lens that have a interesting rendering, *IMHO*)

Another gem is the old Nikkor 55mm f/2.8 Micro AIS - this one will not win any price for the out of focus rendering, but the "depth of field" rendering is great - especially in BW.

I'm sure there are many old(er) lenses out there that could be mentioned to the younger crowds that do not know anything else than the sterile look of many modern (cheper) lenses.

As a closing thought, I have never understood the measurment of lenses against a brick wall, I thought lenses would be measuered  for the *use cases* that they are *used for*.

But maybe (most) modern lenses can only be sold with " yeah, its sterile and boring as heck, but look here at this brick wall, look at the sharpness, just look at it! "

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Biggs23
Bob
Bob
tex
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow