Noise in the Photo or monitor issue? Please help

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
OP sridharj Junior Member • Posts: 30
Re: Noise in the Photo or monitor issue? Please help

SoCalAngler wrote:

I pulled the raw images down from the link and looked closely.

In image 5028 it looks like the focus is on the middle section of the vertical branch or trunk near where it splits. Based on the geometry of the branches - it looks like the branch that the bird is on is closer to the camera - based on what I think I am seeing that would mean the plane of focus is behind the bird. Thus back focus.

If you focused manually it could just be a manual focus error. If auto focus it could be that the lens and the camera sensor and focusing system are not within perfect specification. That isn't unusual and will show up more with long lenses. More costly DSLR bodies would usually have a fine tuning option to help adjust for that. I don't think the Rebel/Kiss cameras have that capability. Another possibility is that size of the focus sensor that is on the bird is not covering the bird and the bright background is causing the autofocus system to miss a bit.

In image 5003 the focus on the bird seems to be a bit better but still off and I don't really see anything in the frame that looks in focus, though the branch sticking up to the right of the bird appears to be in better focus and behind the bird a bit.

Given the distance you may have run into an issue with unstable air caused by heat.

It is possible that if you were much closer, or the target was much larger you may have got a sharper image. Small birds and small targets are tough subjects getting close helps a lot.

It's probably a mix of all/some of them - the distance, heat, slight back focus and light.

I have added a few more images taken with the same combination (+/- 1 day), but a bit closer. The distance to the subject is quite less (around 370mm), so sharpness seems to be better.

Overall, the monitor/computer  don't seem to be the issue, its more of the camera and technique (hand-holding a tele lens at max zoom), that seems to be the issue.

Are there sharp RAW images that I can download and compare?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow