What would you bring to Patagonia?

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ZinMe Contributing Member • Posts: 779
What would you bring to Patagonia?

I'm taking an organized hiking trip to Patagonia in a month. We're doing day hikes most days of 6-13 miles. No overnight hikes, so all I have to carry is water and my camera gear. My back is OK, not great, so lighter is better although DSLR and light lenses should be fine. I don't have a complete light kit for hiking so that makes it complicated. Here are the options I'm trying to decide between:

Fuji X-S10 + 14mm f2.8 + 18-55mm 2.8-4 and 55-200mm

-Pros: lightest option, also have 35mm 1.4 which is a fun lens, love the way fuji primes draw, fuji is more fun to shoot. Has a built in flash.

-Cons: APS-C, lower resolution, processing x-trans no fun in Lightroom- lose something there.

-Buy/Rent: need to upgrade from XE-1 to the S10, and buy/rent the 55-200mm

D750 + 18-35mm + 24-85 (or 25-120) + 70-300

-Pros: not the lightest but acceptable, very good image quality, I've been shooting Nikon DSLRs and know them very well, the best battery life. Has a built in flash.

-Cons: the mid-zooms aren't the best quality, and all lenses are slow (f3.5-5.6)

-Buy/Rent: only need to rent the 18-35 and mid range zoom

Nikon Z7 + 14-30mm, 24-70mm f4, 70-300 with Adapter

-Pros: great combination of resolution and size for landscape travel. Best sensor for landscape. Could start making conversion to Nikon Z which have fantastic lenses.

-Cons: Starting from scratch on a kit. Not cheap. Using an adapter for the 70-300 feels like a compromise on a compromise in terms of optical quality. NO FLASH.

-Buy/Rent: need to get everything but the 70-300.

None of these is a bad option, but would be interested in comments from people who have used similar kits for hiking trips!!!

ZinMe's gear list:ZinMe's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm X-E1 Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 Nikon D500 +11 more
Nikon D750 Nikon Z7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow