Please tell me what I am doing wrong, FZ2500---be kind!

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
Papa48
Papa48 Senior Member • Posts: 3,924
Re: Please tell me what I am doing wrong, FZ2500---be kind!

Fishrman wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

Fishrman wrote:

Papa48 wrote:

You are not doing anything wrong, and to my eye that sample exhibits the limitations of a 1" sensor and zoom lens of this quality. My FZ1000 photos exhibit about the same image quality. I see a bit more noise than usual for this sensor. It might be the processing. But I don't believe you'll be able to obtain more sharpness from this camera. If you want feather detail in a situation like this, it's going to require a much larger sensor and a long focal length professional quality lens.

Thanks! Sometimes, I guess, I get lucky and when I crop them down find they have more detail than I thought. This particular one, if cropped, would not show much detail and would take some post editing to try and make it look better to me. I thought, maybe I might have a setting wrong somewhere that wasn't helping. I usually have it set at auto ISO and for flying Eagles like this, 1600 speed. Maybe I should have the aperture closed down more on a bright day?

Stopping down more than f/4 on a 1" sensor actually introduces unsharpness because of diffraction (bending of light days around edges of the aperture blades). So it's best to just shoot at your maximum telephoto setting with a fast enough shutter speed to stop blur from camera movement (2X the focal length, or 1/800th sec.) Chances are, the camera is already doing that if you're using Auto ISO and Auto shutter speeds. Try not to set the ISO too high manually, as this introduces noise.

Thanks, I shot this at auto ISo and 1600 th to hopefully retain the detail of the bird. So are you saying I shouldn't go less than 1/800th with this camera?

If you're racking your zoom to 400mm or more yes, unless you're really good at steady shutter release and there's no wind vibrating your camera.

Yes. Normally 480 is as high as I can go with optical zoom so, would guess you are saying I could go to 1/960th if the camera would let me.

Well, with my FZ1000 it would be either 1/800th or 1/1000th. Probable same for you.

Papa48's gear list:Papa48's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 16-80mm F4
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow