Sony FE Lens Recommendation

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Craig Gillette Forum Pro • Posts: 11,842
Re: Sony FE Lens Recommendation

intrepidwolf01 wrote:

I know this topic may be a bit rhetorical because it's going to be somewhat of a prime vs zoom conversation, but I'm attempting to reassemble my kit as I recently transitioned from a Canon 5D Mk3 + 24-105mm F4 (friend's camera/lens) and a6000 + Kit Lens + Zony 55mm F1.8 + Neewer 35mm to an A7RII.

Currently, I have the Zony 55mm F1.8 and the 20mm F1.8. (I also have the Godox V860 Flash Adapter which came with my A7RII). Here are my thoughts:

Keep the 20mm F1.8, sell the Zony 55mm F1.8 (I find it too narrow for shooting indoors) and get one of the following combo:

1) Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 + Tamron 70-180mm F2.8
2) Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG DN + Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN (and wait a few years to see if Sigma will release a 24-105mm F4)
3) Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 + Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG DN (use the flash adapter for low light on the 24-70)

I shoot portraits/portraitures, street and landscapes (while on hikes) very heavily. Others such as travel, astrophotography and casual wedding/event photography come up from time to time, so it would be great if I can also fit my kit into this set too.

Here's the dilemma:
1) I don't need a 1 lens solution, but I do want to keep it a minimum (3-4 lens) for my use case where I can get stunning image quality without paying astronomical prices
2) I'm a huge sucker for Bokeh. That 85mm is super appealing to me, especially for portraits. I know I can get similar results with the Tamron at 180mm at F2.8 especially during the day.
3) I'm somewhat OCD and the Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 dust issue is concerning to me and is pushing me to option 2. Sigma claims to have fixed this but I saw on B&H's Q&A as of Oct 2021 people still have dust issues

If you've got wider coverage, consider the Tamron 28-75/2.8s.  Or Sigma 28-70/2.8.  Pretty impressive lenses, with price and weight savings.  Otherwise 24-xx or xxx are slower (f4) or Sony GM size and price.  You don't have to buy all at once.

4) The reviews on the 35mm F1.4 weren't too great (as opposed to the 85mm) and the GM is $500 more expensive
5) I would love the extra reach on the 70-180mm which will be great especially for travel

I like my 28-200 but if needing the f2.8, it's not available for the full range.  Which might mean more lenses and more money .  But it's quite a value in price and weight as a travel lens.

6) I shoot in dimly lit settings a lot so large aperture would be preferred but I feel I could compensate with flash most of the time.

It's refreshing to see flash considered.  But, it doesn't make up for the shallow depth of field of fast primes (and perhaps bokeh considerations, too) or shutter speed considerations for astrophotography.  And flash isn't always allowed.

Past EXIF data (Converted to FF equivalent) over the past 4 years
24mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mmm/85mm, 105mm

I wonder sometimes if focal length spread is skewed by what one had versus what might have been chosen if other focal lengths were available.

Most of the shots were on the 24mm and 75mm closely followed by the 35mm and 105mm and 50mm. I shot a lot on 105mm because it was an F4 lens and I struggled to get enough bokeh in the background.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow