Usability of Zone Focusing

Started Oct 22, 2020 | Questions thread
Mark S Abeln
Mark S Abeln Forum Pro • Posts: 18,900
Show us photos

Gurusathiy wrote:

Thanks for the inputs, I've to convince myself that there is no shortcut to my conundrum.. One thing I want to understand is on CoC.. if as per hyperfocal I set infinity to f/8.0 mark for taking aperture (we'll keep aside crop factor for now), where does this CoC will come into play? Is that subject distance changes or focus distance changes (in case if its just a scenery) as per math on CoC to ensure sharp images?

As Klaus wrote, there is plenty of information online about the *definition* of CoC, and yes, it comes into play.

But the Circle of Confusion has plenty of non-objective factors: including the subjective factor of your eyesight—the equation *assumes* you have 20/20 vision—and the relative factors of your print size and your viewing distance, and the equation *assumes* you are viewing the image from a distance equal to the diagonal width of the image. If even one of these assumptions is incorrect, then the circle of confusion is also incorrect.

Instead of spending time trying to explain abstract reasoning, it would likely be better if you show us a few of your disappointing photos, unedited and straight out of the camera, along with your focus distance if you remember. Your problem may be completely unrelated to depth of field.

Mark S Abeln's gear list:Mark S Abeln's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D7000 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Nikkor 28mm f/2.8D +4 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow