Suggestions for color correction in underexposed milky way photo

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
CatchingTime
CatchingTime Regular Member • Posts: 202
Re: Suggestions for color correction in underexposed milky way photo

The111 wrote:

Weird, I cannot seem to find an edit option for my OP. Here is a tif download as well. Thanks for the suggestion!

Are you sure there are no edits to the TIF file you linked?

The problem with airglow is that it often does not affect the image frame uniformly, e.g. it is usually stronger near the horizon. Due to this fact, any color balance adjustment made on the entire frame affects it differently in different areas, as the one attempt posted above illustrates (the area of the upper Milky Way turned magenta on upper left side, while it decreased the green a bit in the main part of the Milky Way).

I use Clark's basic approach, but I only use Curves to neutralize any possible coloration from either pollution or airglow in the very darkest parts of the image (typically the upper reaches, though not near a corner where light falloff affects color balance). I personally like to see how the sky changes from night to night, and airglow is responsible for much of this, at least in dark places.

Everyone's mileage varies...

-- hide signature --

My $0.02 in a world where pennies are obsolete.

CatchingTime's gear list:CatchingTime's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS Canon EOS R5 Sigma 14mm F1.8 Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 40mm F1.4 DG HSM +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow