Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 54,028
Re: Do you miss larger sensors?

Scott Larson wrote:

If I just take my RX10 IV into good light by itself then I have a good time with it if I don't use it very much. If I bring a DSLR along then I really see the little camera's limitations. Even in good light I've never been able to get good colors from it. Some colors are grey and muted, some are too red, and some have weird yellow splotches. Getting the exposure correct is nerve-wracking because it's so easy to blow out the exposures or lose shadow detail. I feel like I'm shooting slide film again.

Strange because I find the colors from my RX10iv excellent. Sure a camera with a 1" sensor has limitations but they are nowhere as bad as you claim. I find I simply have to be more careful with exposure. Maybe you like photos with increased saturation and contrast. Those can be achieved with an RX10iv with some in-camera or post-processing adjustments. Personally, I tend to prefer more muted and realistic colors.

Looking into the viewfinder of a DSLR is so much nicer and easier on my eyes than the dim electronic approximation viewfinder of the RX10 IV. I can look through a DSLR all day, but the RX10 IV viewfinder bothers my eyes after a couple of hours and has given me headaches a couple of times.

That of course is a personal preference. I used SLRs and then DSLRs for decades and had no problem with the switch. While I agree a good Full Frame viewfinder is nicer to look through it in no way limits my ability to take a photo so I just don't care.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow