Do I have a particularly bad RF 50mm f/1.8?

Started 1 week ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
iKenndac
iKenndac Junior Member • Posts: 49
Do I have a particularly bad RF 50mm f/1.8?

Hey folks,

I've recently moved to a kit containing an EOS R5 and a couple of L lenses, as well as the new "nifty fifty" which I'm pretty disappointed with in terms of image quality.

It occurred to me that I've never actually had a nifty fifty — my previous Canon kit had the 40mm f/2.8 pancake, which I loved.

In particular, I'm talking about two aspects of the image. The first is the purple fringing, and the second is a kind of smearyness/hazyness in the edges of the frame, almost like the lens has vaseline or something on it.

The first attached image shows both things I'l talking about. The purple fringing around the blades of grass crossing the dog's chest and legs (and around his paw), and the smearyness in the wood chips on the floor in front of his paw.

The second image shows the smeariness/hazyness in a tree at the corner of the frame. It doesn't just look like regular out-of-focus rendering to me.

So, do I have a bad lens or have a just been spoiled by better glass? Thanks!

iKenndac's gear list:iKenndac's gear list
Olympus E-M1 III Canon EOS R5 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +4 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
KEG
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow