Please help me to choose a FF camera system (landscape, wildlife)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
mostlyboringphotog Forum Pro • Posts: 10,427
Re: Please help me to choose a FF camera system (landscape, wildlife)

filster7 wrote:

mostlyboringphotog wrote:

My thought is that to fully appreciate FF sensor advantage, a higher MP count camera is a big plus so I would choose A7R III with your budget in mind.

If you can take advantage of US pricing B&H lists A7RIIIA with Sony FE 24-105mm F/4 G OSS for $3,100.00 USD (24-70mm lens kit is cheaper by $400.00), And add Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG DN OS Contemporary Lens later on. This kit will clock in at about 5.5 lb or 2.5 kg.

I think the above would be rather amazing wildlife/landscape/travel package.

For DLSR options, my choice would be Nikon D850.

For real budget FF, Canon RP is on sale for $899. It gets a bad rap for lower DR rating but I found it to be eminently usable camera with noticeable technical image quality difference over the crop sensor cameras. It's also almost as compact and light as Sony A7C.

In my humble opinion, of course, and good luck.

Hi, thanks a lot for the advice, I really appreciate it. You got me thinking about the A7RIII. The only issue is that where I live (Europe) I can't get it at that price (that's a really good price BTW). I can get the A7III for around 1500 EUR and the A7RIII for around 2200 EUR (with the cashback counted in). So right now I'm thinking if I can justify the 700 EUR difference. Also, I watched/read some reviews that got me a bit concerned about the A7RIII's AF since the A7III's AF seems to be better (also the 4K video quality and high ISO performance). But I like that the A7RIII has the shutter rated for 2x the number of cycles and that it's built a bit better + of course the resolution (which I'm not sure right now if I'd be able to take advantage of). So this is what I'm trying to weight in right now.

The lenses I'm thinking about buying with the body are the Sony 24-105 f/4 and the Sony 200-600 f/5.6-6.3. I was looking at the Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3 and it looks really nice but I think for wildlife I'd be better with a longer range (around 600). What do you think about the Sigma 150-600 f/5-6.3? I personally don't like that the Sigmas extend while zooming (the Sony doesn't) and the weight shift associated with it.

You are most welcome and I do feel your pain about Europe vs. US pricing.

As with landscape/wildlife, all the details of foliage and feathers and fur becomes the cause célèbre, I would value high MP sensor at the cost of thinner wallet

Below is A7R3 vs. A73 DPR studio comparison, processed with DxO PL4 with DeepPRIME NR.

ISO 12800 A7R3 A73

These are ISO12800 and both have no noticeable noise but more detail and smoother tonality on the A7R3 is noticeable. Noise can be now processed without much reduction in the detail but if the detail was not captured by the sensor, even with AI based up res processing, it's not quite right,

In terms of Sony 200-600mm lens, for me the weight consideration would be significant and Sigma 150-600mm maybe for the DSLR and not for the mirrorless.

With more crop capability of A7R3, 100-400mm may cover 600mm in a pinch

-- hide signature --

My gear list is the opinion of DPR and not necessarily of my own.

mostlyboringphotog's gear list:mostlyboringphotog's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Pentax 645Z Nikon 1 J5 Fujifilm GFX 50R Canon EOS RP
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow