Please help me to choose a FF camera system (landscape, wildlife)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ikolbyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Re: Why only full-frame?

filster7 wrote:

ikolbyi wrote:

I didn't see in your post an explanation why you only want to consider a full-frame camera. If you can detail your reasoning it would better help us answer your above questions.

That said, if more than 50% of the camera will be used for video: Canon, Sony & Olympus are the top choices. Panasonic (both m4/3 & FF) are in the middle with Nikon & Fuji rounding out the bottom.

Hi, thanks for stopping by. I always associated full-frame with "better overall quality". This means better dynamic range, depth of field control, better perf. at high ISOs. But I only compare it with what I had experience with - D300 vs Canon 5D "back in the day". At that time I was mostly interested in landscape photography with occasional macro and I really liked the images 5D was giving. I liked D300 more for everything else.

The downside for the FF cameras at that time was that they were clunky and noisy - and more expensive. But nowadays it seems that the prices went down, FF DSLRs are more affordable and with mirrorless you event don't get the clunkiness and noisy mirror (but you get steep prices). So I was thinking if I'm going to invest into a system and buy a camera with 2-3 lenses now I better choose wisely.

I added video to the equation only recently but I'm gravitating towards it more and more I guess.

I read earlier you plan on traveling with this system to Iceland and have interest in photographing birds.  Please keep in mind the size and weight of a FF system lugging around on an airplane and carrying with you.  My former Full-Frame (FF) camera bag with 4 lenses weighted 26lbs on my back and the largest lens in that bag was a 105mm prime.  The same exact setup in m4/3 (Micro Four Thirds) weighed 15 lbs and the bag was smaller and it includes a 300mm zoom lens.

If you travel a lot, FF is not your friend.  This is why Olympus is #1 for safaris and bird photography.  It can do portrait work provided you obtain the right lens.  I mention this because every camera system has developed leaps-and-bounds improved over the past 10 years.  m4/3 in the early years did suffer, but not so much today especially if you buy quality lenses.

Here are some sample photos with Olympus m4/3 (not my best work but gives you an idea):

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow