Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Started 7 months ago | Discussions thread
Martin_99 Senior Member • Posts: 3,484
Re: Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Jayster18 wrote:

Martin_99 wrote:

I would like to ask if you really need such reach? Personally I would rather exchange smaller reach for better image quality and low light performance of 1" sensor cameras.

Sony DSC-RX10 series is expensive, but maybe cameras like Panasonic FZ2500 or FZ1000 II would serve you well.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1280827-REG/panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz2500_digital_camera.html

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1460257-REG/panasonic_dc_fz1000m2_lumix_dc_fz1000_ii_digital.html

I also seem to feel like I'm wanting more reach when I'm out and about. I had previously looked at the FZ1000 II and took it off my list due to the max 400mm focal length. However, I had not looked at the FZ2500. I just took a quick gander. At least it goes to 480mm, but that is still quite a bit less than what I am used to now with the SX40, which extends to 840mm.

Here's one of my critical questions: If I go from the SX40 to the SX70, the Nikon P950, or the Panasonic DC-FZ80 (those are my three main contenders right now), will I see improved image quality and performance over what I have now with the SX40. Or, will I really just be spending money and not buying myself anything better than what I own right now?

I have no experience with any of those cameras, but maybe we can check the theory part (switch SX40 to SX70) regarding image quality:

- same sensor size - no effect (FYI - smaller than many smartphones)

- sensor generation - ?

- higher resolution - positive effect

- bigger zoom range and slower aperture - negative effect

- image processing - ?

My guess is that image quality will be slightly better, but maybe you will not recognize it at all. This was the reson why I suggested camera with bigger sensor.

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS +2 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow