Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Foto4x4 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,905
Re: Do you miss larger sensors?

I haven’t read through the thread but the subject peaked my interest because I shoot FF mostly but also have a RX100VI along with some other “toys”.

I’m not going to ditch my FF gear for the RX, period!

Not long after I for my RX100VI, I did two fairly long road trips. It wasn’t a bother to take my gear as it was always easily accessible, but even so, I was quickly aware that for travel, the little RX was shooting about 50% of my images due to its convenience. But while post processing I soon became acutely aware that its images were nowhere near the quality of the A7RII I had then.

Then last year when Covid interrupted my travel, I spent some of my savings that would normally have gone on tripping on upgrading my FF to first an A7RIII then earlier this year adding an A7RIV. Realising that the RX100VI’s 24-200mm range was a key to why I used it so often, I purchased a Tamron 28-200 last year.

I’ve since done two more road trips and the convenience of the 28-200 attached to the sharpness and other benefits of FF+resolution means I hardly used my RX100VI on those trips. PLUS I have the additional benefit of being able to use fast primes for low light, Astro, portraits (I love capturing friends and separating them from the background), or adding my 100-400 plus TC for birds and wildlife etc.

I had a RX10III for awhile and it didn’t take long to realise that if I was going to carry around something that big I may as well use FF gear. I know many here love their RX10s but seriously the RX100VI is every bit as good image wise and they ARE good, but nowhere on par with FF.

So… like I wrote before, I would miss my larger sensors. And I’m not knocking the RXs but it’s all a matter of priorities I guess.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, John
Quote: “A good photograph is knowing where to stand.” - Ansel Adams

Foto4x4's gear list:Foto4x4's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a7R III Sony a6400 Sony a7R IV Sony 50mm F2.8 Macro +11 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow