Do you miss larger sensors?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ChuckB Contributing Member • Posts: 748
Re: Do you miss larger sensors?

Jerry R wrote:

Tom,

My FF is 1 to 2 stops better than my APSC cameras.

I have a Nikon V1, 1" sensor" and it is good in day light but the S/N deteriorates if the light is not good.

Jerry

A V1? No wonder your other cameras have better S/N. I have a J1 and basically, it sucks compared to my RX100s.

As always, comparing sensor size in general is pointless. Ya gotta be specific. And just to bore you silly because it's been said before, post-processing software has come a long way too. I have a 13x19 print on the wall made from a Panasonic ZS70 (1/2.3 sensor) cropped image and after NR and sharpening it looks just fine. Could it be better? Probably, but you'd have to get nose oil on it to see.

I think I'd like to see a test/comparison among various high-quality cameras of various sensor sizes with output to screen and print with no limit on post-processing to see just where the differences end up. Big diff, little diff, no diff, whatever. It wouldn't stop the controversy, but it would be interesting.

ChuckB's gear list:ChuckB's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 III Sony a77 II Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow