Please help me to choose a FF camera system (landscape, wildlife)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
techie takes pics Senior Member • Posts: 1,606
Re: Please help me to choose a FF camera system (landscape, wildlife)

You've probably read that full frame is the 'best' so you must absolutely have full frame.

You want it so much that you're willing to compromise on lenses.

If you are the owner of a pizza shop, will you spend a lot of time deciding between a Ferrari or a Lamborghini for your delivery?   Surely it matters, as the 'best' car delivers the best pizza's, right?

I always recommend that a camera is best equipped with lenses about 2-3 times the price of the body - as a rule of thumb.

If you spend your budget on the body and have to equip it with the cheapest kit lens, consider selling frozen pizzas, but hey, at least they are delivery by a Ferrari.

The lens defines the picture; the composition, sharpness, image quality. The camera merely records what it receives.   
When you skew the balance too much towards the exiting black box with all the buttons and the high review scores, you run into the law of diminishing returns.  A system delivers better pictures for your dollar or euro, if you apply some balance; the 1 : 2-3 ratio I suggested.  Not: 1 : 0.1 .

For 2500, I would recommend either:

• a 2500 body and expect to invest another 5000 in lenses, to unlock its potential; or:
  • 2500 as total budget, 600-800 on a body and the rest in fantastic lenses.

Lenses are important.

techie takes pics's gear list:techie takes pics's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus E-M5 III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario 35-100mm F2.8 OIS +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow