Anyone using Pentax K1 with Astrotracer?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
reinhard becker Regular Member • Posts: 159
Re: Anyone using Pentax K1 with Astrotracer?

henrikbengtsson wrote:

G Dickson wrote:

I am not using a Pentax with the astrotracer, but you most certainly can take photos of Orion with it. You can take photos of it without any tracking at all, so the Pentax already gives you a big advantage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuMZG-SyDCU

Here Nico Carver goes into huge detail about the whole process of shooting and processing Orion without any tracking.

With the astrotracer function you will just have to experiment - a lot will depend on your focal length.

Before I got my simple star tracker mount I was taking photos of deep sky objects just by using a long lens (400mm) and stacking. Of course I was seriously limited in my exposure time to about 1sec.

Thanks a lot for that. Very interesting!

And about the Pentax - just to be clear. I do not currently have a Pentax (I use Canon) but was wondering if it might be easier/more convenient to get a used K1 instead of a regular tracker.

The way I see it:

Pros:
-Quicker to setup (just the camera) and much easier calibration
-If we get tired of taking those pictures (doubt it) we still have a great camera to be used as backup or travel.

Cons:
- We can only use that camera for astrophotography. If it breaks we would need to get another one (or a tracker)
- Even a used K1 with lens would probably be more expensive that a fairly good tracker

If you do not own a Pentax actually I would not recommend to buy one! The idea for the astro tracer is great but unfortunately there are not so many lenses for Pentax available, also the used sensors are quite old now. Even 3rd party manufacturers like Sigma or Tamron are not supporting Pentax anymore, there are only old designs second hand.

I was a long time Pentax user in the 90s up to 2005, but in terms of astrophotography I would today recommend a Canon, just because the pure amount of available glas, new and used.

Hopefully the astro trace function will be covered by additional companies in the future. Every camera with build in stabilizer can theoretically do it, but from my guess this function is covered patents owned by Pentax.

-- hide signature --

Reinhard
Olympus E-M5II, E-M1II, Olympus lenses from 7 to 300mm
Panasonic S1R, Sigma L-mount lenses (14-24, 24-70, 50, 85, 135, 150-600)

reinhard becker's gear list:reinhard becker's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-S1R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 +16 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow