Maybe Nikon's waiting for the Z9 hype to die down before sending DSLRs out with a bang

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 6,807
Re: Why Would Nikon Want...

Bill Ferris wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

primeshooter wrote:

shuncheung wrote:

Bill Ferris wrote:

If the pre-order rumors are anything close to accurate, photographers are more excited about the Z9 than any Nikon body since the D850. If anything, Nikon will leverage that enthusiasm by making an announcement - perhaps by the end of this calendar year - that the Z8 is in development and coming in 2022. Reassuring photographers that Z9 capability will be designed into downmarket products is the #1 thing Nikon can do to leverage the Z9 hype.

There is only a month and half left in 2021, and Nikon won't start shipping the Z9 until at least mid December. There is no better way to stop their own Z9's momentum to announce some "Z8" is coming with most of Z9's features but less expensive. Or announce another DSLR money loser when the world has moved to mirrorless. Either move would be a major shot in their own foot.

The only new DSLR Nikon may announce in the future are those anniversary model, special edition type, ALA Leica. But even that is getting unlikely. Nikon already have the retro Zfc. Perhaps that will make an FX version.

The thing is hype like this has a way of dieing fast. Why? Well because most nikon users won't buy this because of its price size and weight. The bigger market will be in a Z8 or whatever nikon calls it, but essentially a z7ii style body but with pro controls - without the missing buttons like the focus mode button, the 10 pin remote terminal at the front so it doesn't interfere with l bracket use, better AF, less or no blackout, so on and so forth (that z9 horizontal and vertical tilting screen is a must!). I think it is unlikely that masses of people who want a Z9 will suddenly not wish that style of body just because a Z8 is on it's way. The Z9 body is massive and weighty, if you want that type of camera you already know and go for it.

Exactly. Nikon only benefits from the Z9 by developing and releasing downmarket products that make the most desirable features & functionality of the Z9 available to enthusiasts.

The sooner they get on with that, the better. No D4 thru D6 shooter who's been waiting for the Z9 is going to pass on it because a non-gripped Z8 is announced. Not. One. If a D850 shooter who pre-ordered a Z9 cancels to get in line for a Z8, Nikon still gets a multi-thousand dollar sale. Plus they'll get the same sale from the thousands of D850 shooters who didn't pre-order a Z9 but can't wait to get in line for the Z8. If Nikon announces a Z900 is in development, the line of D500 and D7500 shooters getting in line for that will be long and enthusiastic. Professionals who pre-ordered the Z9 may join them in that line to get a second body having a similar user interface & functionality but lighter in weight and better at filling the frame when photographing distant subjects.

Any way we slice it, Nikon benefits from priming the customer enthusiasm pump and announcing downmarket products build around Z9 features & functionality as soon as possible. That only results in more people being excited about what's coming from Nikon.

I do not care what anyone says...the current Z bodies all have some sort of compromise or issue that means for my shooting they are side steps at best. This is a personal thing to each shooter. I know what I do and I know what works. Heck I have tried to justify grabbing one for months' but every time I look at it rationally I cannot swing it. (It is mainly to try the lenses more).

Nikon really must not realise how good their d850 is, or maybe they do. The simple fact is it is truly the best dslr ever made, period. I want to try the Z lenses I do. But I am not side stepping into some flawed or compromised body in order to do it. Nikon will get my money when they truly match or eclipse the d850. I suspect this is the viewpoint of many serious shooters. I've been caught up in this iterative upgrade thing before and it doesn't suit me anymore. I also suspect in this modern world many have got wise to this piecemealing stuff too. I am waiting for a d850 "we nailed it moment". A truly refined product without some problem that will get in the way of my shooting. I won't go into that here for now. I'm not here to watch nikon screw around adding an extra card slot and calling it a new camera. Try harder...a lot harder nikon. I am sure they will.

And Ps I will keep my dslrs. Some things are just better with an optical viewfinder. I like to see the world. To feel that connection. Some times that means no electronic viewpoints and pure optical goodness.

I respect your choice. We all free to shoot with whichever system appeals. I've really enjoyed shooting with Nikon DSLRs the last 17 years, including the last 3+ with a D500 as my primary body. I can totally understand where you're coming from and wouldn't try to talk you off the DSLR island.

That said, I've been shooting with a mirrorless Fuji X-T20 as my primary travel and lightweight hiking camera for about 4 1/2 years and have come to appreciate the advantages MILCs offer. For example, I really like an EVF that shows me a preview of how the photo I'm about to make will look.

As a wildlife and bird photographer, I've been spoiled by the performance of the D500. Its autofocus, burst rate, buffer, controls, and user interface are all excellent. I don't like the volume level of the mirror slap; not even in quiet or quiet continuous mode. I've had animals become uncomfortable by the sound of my D500's mirror slap. I've got 100s of photos of birds looking directly at me...made aware of my presence by that mirror slap. A Nikon mirrorless that offers truly silent shooting with autofocus as good or better than my D500 is of genuine interest to me.

While I've not had the opportunity to hold or use a Z9, the autofocus performance of that camera as shown in numerous videos looks truly impressive. If an APS-C version of that camera were introduced, I'd be sorely tempted. If an APS-C Z900 offered silent shooting in continuous AF mode along with 12-15 fps, I'd be all in on that bad boy.

I'm not trying to sell you or anybody else on the Z bodies; just sharing what about the Z series and potential future cameras interests me. I don't think I'm alone. A lot of D850, D750, D6xx, and D500 shooters have been hesitant to move to the Z-cosystem. Some like you are 100% satisfied with the DSLR experience and in no hurry to give that up. I respect that. Others like me have been waiting for something that's clearly, obviously an upgrade from our current kit and sense that, with the release of the Z9, we could be just a year or two from seeing that product introduced.

So again, I'm not being critical of your decision or trying to persuade you to change your mind. I'm just genuinely optimistic that Nikon will release a Z in the next year or two that genuinely interests me.

Agree with your sentiments...as I said there are plusses but for me still too many minuses or side steps currently. I am sure the next body will change that though. So for now I wait.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow