Please help me to choose a FF camera system (landscape, wildlife)

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ikolbyi Senior Member • Posts: 1,077
Why only full-frame?

filster7 wrote:

Hi everyone, I'd like to buy full-frame camera with couple of lenses - specifically for landscape and wildlife photography (and I'd like to add a macro lens later). It's very much possible that for wildlife I'd end up doing a lot of videography instead of just stills - so the camera should be very good at that too.

My max budget for the body only is around 2500 EUR but I would be happier if it would be much less in the end. It's possible that for "budget reasons" I'd go with a body and a "kit lens" (hopefully a good one) first, adding a telephoto zoom next and then finally buying a landscape lens.

I was once working in a specialized shop that was selling cameras and I was able to try basically everything that was available at that time (2007). At that time I mostly gravitated towards Nikon (the D300) but I what I really wanted was the Canon 5D for landscape - but on the other hand the 5D wouldn't be the best for wildlife. I liked the ergonomics of both of those cameras.

Fast forward 2021 and we have the mirrorless systems. So apart from the brand I'm also looking at those and thinking if it wouldn't be wiser to go that route in terms of getting a future-proof system. I don't like the EVF (but maybe I won't need to use it at all), I'm not sure about the AF speed/precision compared to the DSLR and the cameras/lenses are/seem to be more expensive than the DSLR ones.

Before considering any mirrorless system my choice was a Nikon D780 with 200-500 f/5.6 and 16-35 f/4. I could also get a 50 f/1.8 and a SB-400 flash from my sister since she doesn't use them. That would basically cover the most ground I need covered and also wouldn't ruin me financially (and I could still buy a nice tripod and a camera bag).

So the more expensive mirrorless system would really need to make sense. I was looking at the Nikon Z6 II with the 24-70 f/4 kit but their 100-400 is around 2800 EUR which is a pretty steep price (for me). This would be my first choice if going mirrorless (since it's Nikon - but it doesn't have to be). Then the Canon R6 + 24-105 f/4-7.1 kit (I was never a fan of such long zooms since the quality usually wasn't there) and then probably (?) the RF 100-400 f/5,6-8 (it's on the cheaper side but hopefully it would perform "ok"). I didn't look much at Sony since the A7 MK III is quite old now and the MK IV is pretty expensive for me. But I'm open to suggestions - the MK III is now really at a good price thanks to Black Friday deals + the 200 EUR cashback (also at a good price with the 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 kit). I could pair it with Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 without busting the bank (or go with 24-70 f/4 and 200-600 f/5.6-6.3 that could still fit into my budget - tightly).

The other question I had was about the adaptors - how's the general consensus about using the mirrorless bodies with "normal" lenses? For example the Canon 400 f/5.6 on Canon R6.

Many options to consider. Thanks in advance! Filip

I didn't see in your post an explanation why you only want to consider a full-frame camera.  If you can detail your reasoning it would better help us answer your above questions.

That said, if more than 50% of the camera will be used for video: Canon, Sony & Olympus are the top choices.  Panasonic (both m4/3 & FF) are in the middle with Nikon & Fuji rounding out the bottom.

ikolbyi's gear list:ikolbyi's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III Olympus E-M1 III Voigtlander 75mm F1.8 Heliar Classic Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 EZ +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow