What happened to Fuji Kaizen

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Threaded Veteran Member • Posts: 3,705
Re: I'm guessing you're not an X-T3 user

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Mr Bolton wrote:

Truman Prevatt wrote:

Iuvenis wrote:

Some massive firmware updates came to my X-T3.

I don't think Kaizen was ever a promise by Fuji. It was just something that they did occasionally, when it didn't hurt new models or involve a lot of work on an older sensor generation.

You manage a publicly traded company. Your bonus is keyed to profit. If you don't make it - you are fired. You have X engineers. Guess where most are going to be working - on the next generation of revenue producing cameras and lenses. Those that aren't can be kept busy and employed by migrating F/W to the older generation - which goes against profit. Why? It does not bring one red cent of revenue. They will charge to some sort of overhead cost center. Why would you do it? Simple it keeps a trained engineer on staff who is available for the next R&D effort which will produce new revenue. But make no mistake not one bit of Kaizen will make money for the company since the cost comes directly out of profit. Maintaining F/W and bug fixes are a necessary cost and they have been planned in and budgeted for.

Fuji did it at first because they had to because the released products were not ready for prime time. Today they are.

Except for the part where companies with a track record of maintaining and improving their products get more new sales and experience greater user confidence in their product-which leads to the best kind of advertising there is: word of mouth.

Maybe for you. However, I would much prefer that any product I buy be ready for prime time an robust when I buy it. Personally if I never see a F/W update because the F/W was robust and the camera was ready from prime time when put on the market I would be very happy. I see Kaizen as a cop out for releasing equipment not ready for prime time and a negative. There is no reason that my XPro2 was on firmware version 5. That is a prime example of a product released before it was ready for prime time.

I’ve no idea why you’re pushing this idea that kaizen was only about bug fixes and getting cameras “ready for prime time”, that’s a complete misrepresentation and you know it.

Version 5 for the XP2 was great, but the X-Pro2 on version 1 was a perfectly fine, solid camera which did everything it was promised to do. Subsequent versions by and large added significant features and capabilities, and were a thoroughly good thing, not only for those who owned the camera since launch but those who considered buying the camera later on in its long life on the market. Your repeated suggestion that the updates for the XP2 were some desperate attempt to correct problems in the model are downright false and misleading.

As for your ruminations on how a publicly traded company should behave, I think those belong firmly in the last century. The notion that improving older cameras (and in this context, remember this really means existing models on the market today) is some massive loss making venture with no possible benefit to the company is ridiculously blinkered. Earlier in this thread you whined about how these complaints about the lack of kaizen are a recurring theme around here; another way of reading that is to recognise the strength of feeling around this amongst Fuji’s customer base. Kaizen is a thing, it was promoted by Fuji when it was convenient and it remains part of the reason why many Fuji users chose the brand. To imagine it has no monetary value and can be dispensed with at no cost to the company is naïve in the extreme.

Threaded's gear list:Threaded's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
jrk
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow