Almost went back to FF... Then This Happened

Started Oct 28, 2021 | Discussions thread
barrycarie Regular Member • Posts: 116
Re: Let's break this down objectively.

Funny how these graphs mean different things to different folks. These graphs are part of what made me take a chance on m43. M43 is basically 2 stops behind, but when you want depth of field (as I do when taking wilderness shots on long backpacking trips), you have to stop down the ff two stops more than the m43 to get equivalent depth of field. This makes it about a wash even before you consider the better IBIS on the smaller system.

They don't mean different things to different people, they are what is commonly known as 'facts'. As a landscape photographer, I frequently use a tripod, as most do. Now tell me all about my struggle for depth of field. In normal daylight, F11 is not a struggle to shoot, especially as my camera has IBIS, though in reality, even that is not needed for many shots, I also have the luxury of 42mp to downsample. I've owned the G9, and if you think it can compete with the A7RIII, you're truly deluding yourself. The G9 is a great camera, but not so great that it's popular with professional landscape photographers. I know of one who uses it, all the others use either FF or medium format, can you take a wild guess and work out why? spoiler alert, the graphs above are a clue. If this hurts your ego, that's unfortunate, but it's your problem and no-one else's.

As I've already said, I use my A7 for a variety of reasons, I'm not wedded to it, it's the right tool for me, just like others use m4/3's for their valid reasons, it's not a competition, there are no prizes. However, I'm not going to deny the well known advantages of the 7RIII just because it hurts your feelings, you just need to get over it.

Do you even hear yourself?  I don't know what world you live in, but many facts are subject to different interpretations.  It is a fact that Donald Trump paid hush money to a sex worker.  Watch MSNBC and Fox, and see if people don't interpret that fact differently.

You seem to be the one with the ego involved and a propensity for making wild inferences with limited factual basis. What is the factual basis for your comments about ego and delusions?

I am happy for you that you live in a world of shooting landscapes in normal daylight and static subjects.  I live in a world where shutter speed often matters.  As you so aptly pointed out even subjects in landscapes such as grass and waves move, and there are an awful lot of pictures to be had in less than "normal daylight."  When shutter speed does not matter, I can also use a tripod and hi-res mode.  When you and your climbing team are on 60 degree ice, and you want to take a picture of a fellow climber, you don't always get to set up a tripod.  Most of my photography happens at the edge of the day.  The facts presented by the graphs above show that there is about two stops difference in DR and noise between the m43 sensor and a ff sensor.  It is also a fact that you can open up an m43 lens two stops further for the same DOF. and use a 2 stop lower iso for the same shutter speed.

For my use case, where light weight is a necessity, and I am constantly on the move (often on very seep terrain), the trade off works for me. If like you, I was always on a tripod at f11, I would clearly choose a different camera.

Get over yourself and lose the judgmental and patronizing attitude. It is neither my ego nor my opinion that interprets those graphs as putting m43 2 stops behind, and it is neither my ego nor my opinion that I can recover a lot of that difference and still get the same depth of field with an aperture 2 stops farther open.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
MNE
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow