Almost went back to FF... Then This Happened

Started Oct 28, 2021 | Discussions thread
barrycarie Regular Member • Posts: 116
Just got a FF to replace G-9... remorse?

I was a nikon ff user since the D700.  I got the G-9 because most of my photography is when I backpack and I wanted smaller.  I live in the dark and cloudy Pacific Northwest, but for dark handheld landscapes (where you need depth of field), I thought the G-9 disadvantages would be mitigated by IBIS and getting similar depth of field with a much more open aperture.

I have been a bit disappointed particularly in low-light + high contrast scenes.  I can get good photos with the G-9, particularly if I set up the tripod and use hi-res.  I remembered it being a lot easier to get good shots with my full frame Nikon.

While shopping for a 35-100 f.2.8 for my G-9, I came across a screaming deal on a D-850, and I bought it on impulse.  I still have three great telephoto Nikons, and it ended up being cheaper to buy the D-850 than an equivalent telephoto m43 lens. I planned to keep my EM-5 Mkii as my small hiking camera, and outfit the ff with a couple lenses when I was going someplace specifically to make images.

...so, I went off to the camera store to look at lenses for the Nikon... something to fill the same purpose as my 12-60 and 8-18... Holy smokes!  Equivalent lenses are huge and expensive!  2lbs each and over $1500 each!  Holding onto my G-9, which is as big as a lot of ff cameras, I had forgotten how huge ff lenses are! I think I am going to keep the D850 and just pack a 20, 35, and 85 prime to keep weight down, but shoot... there is no free lunch!  My little EM-5 is probably going to get a lot more use!

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MNE
MNE
tko
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow