Usability of Zone Focusing

Started Oct 22, 2020 | Questions thread
OP Gurusathiy Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Usability of Zone Focusing

Hello All,

Hope all are doing good and life's back to almost normal while still in midst of pandemic...

So after spending an year more on research on this topic, I've still not found an exact answer to my conundrum;-) so I've few more questions to all those experts here to help me further in my quest for focus-less pic taking...

Pardon me for the long post:

My friend has got a Zeiss 25mm Biogon ZM lens and I'm trying it on my A6000 with K&F concept pro adapter.

I came across this thread on hyperfocal focusing for FF lens on APS-C:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3970117

As per Jim's advise, if I use f/8 aperture and keep the focusing ring to two f/4 markings (2 stops wider than taking aperture), will the image have depth of field of f/4 or taking aperture f/8?

Also, every research gave me this as the method to set the lens focus ring for indicating range of distance that will be in focus:

This is from dofmaster site.

But, as per Zeiss website, the below setting contradicts that and says infinity mark be aligned to the center focus index and aperture setting be read accordingly:

As per Zeiss

If HFD is as simple as aligning the markings as per these methods, I'm hard pressed to understand the discussions around CoC and having low CoC value for digital sensors and adjusting focus ring as per HFD charts with CoC in the math.

So what is the right method? DOF or Zeiss?

Any support on this is highly appreciated!!

-- hide signature --

Thanks
Guru raj

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Bob
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow