Canon Angle Finder for M6 Mark II?

Started 2 months ago | Questions thread
OP B_Gardner Forum Member • Posts: 95
Re: Dummy battery + power bank

Wayne Larmon wrote:

cr2shooter wrote:

B_Gardner wrote:

Astrophoto sessions tend to go for many hours at remote locations, and winter is coming on, so battery endurance is critical.

You’re going to struggle. All mirrorless cameras guzzle batteries, in my experience much faster than equivalent SLRs with a traditional viewfinder and the LP-E17 in the M6 ii isn't great for capacity. Suggest you investigate using a separate HDMI monitor as that will have its own battery and minimise the power drain on the camera.

Try a

DR-E17 DC Coupler Dummy Battery

plus a USB power bank. I don't have a recommendation for a USB power bank because the ones I use are no longer on the market. I use a dummy battery from the same company with my M50 (E-12) when I was camera scanning slides and negatives.

Amazon user reviews for the DR-E17 indicate that you need a power bank that puts out at least three amps. Otherwise the camera will seem to work, until you try to take picture.

Wayne

Interesting, thanks!  I hadn't heard about this before.  Is anyone out there using this approach?  Are there any risks to the camera?  Can anyone recommend a USB battery with sufficient output to power the M6ii via this rig?

B_Gardner's gear list:B_Gardner's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow