Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jayster18 New Member • Posts: 12
Suggestion for Canon SX40 Replacement

Greetings!

I'm a long time Canon user.  My collection includes a 40D, a 7D, a G12, a G16, an S95, an and an SX40HS.

Over the past five or more years, I have found myself not wanting to use my 7D (or any DSLR) when travelling.  It's just too much weight to lug around, especially because I tend to overpack.  For my last few trips, I've been bringing the SX40 and my iPhone 12 Pro Max.  Although the SX40 has served me well, it's getting on in years (I've had it for at least 8 years) and I find it to be slow  (start up, zooming, burst, etc.).  In April 2022, I will be going out a three-week out-of-country trip and my next out-of-state weekender trip will be in March 2022.  Thus, I'm starting to look for an SX40 replacement and would appreciate any recommendations.

Of course, the SX70 is a natural choice for me and it is one of the frontrunners.  My concerns are that it does not have a hot shoe (occasionally I will use a small external flash with my SX40--but this is NOT a deal breaker); the maximum aperture is only f/3.4 compared to the f/2.7 on my SX40; and I've read mixed reviews about the SX70, especially when it comes to image quality.  So, I'm wondering whether the SX70 really would be step up from my SX40 (enough to justify the $600 price tag).

Another contender is the Nikon P950.  I have not yet seen it in person (nor have I seen the SX70 or any of the other cameras I'm considering), but from what I have read it is considerably larger and heavier than the SX70 or any of the other cameras I am considering.  In addition, the MP count is lower (16 compared to 20 for the SX70), and the continuous shooting is only 7fps compared to 10 fps with the SX70.  Last, although I am not thrilled with the $800+ price tag, I would pay it if I knew that the P950 were superior to the SX40 and the SX70.

Other cameras I'm considering are the Sony DSC-HX400 (but this camera also seems heavy and old), the Panasonic DC-FZ80, the Panasonic ZS80, and the Panasonic DMC-FZ300.  Off the top of my head, I can't recall my concerns about the Panasonics, but I know that at least one of them (the DMC-FZ300) does not have the focal range of my SX40 (25-600mm compared to 24-840mm) and I really don't want less reach than I have now (on the other hand, I love the FZ300's f/2.8 aperture.

I know I'm going to have to make some comprises (I don't want to spend more than $1,000 and would prefer to keep the cost less if I can), but here's my wish list:

• Focal length at least what I have now with the SX40 (24-840mm)
  • Good low-light shooting
  • Decent burst shooting
  • Quality EVF (SX40's EVF is not good)
  • WiFi
  • Built-in GPS or way to use cell phone's GPS and Bluetooth to tag photos as they are being taken (I know the SX70 and the P940 offer this, but I don't about the others).
  • Image quality that is at least as good (and hopefully better) than the SX40
  • Startup and focusing faster than the SX40

I don't care about the ability to shoot in RAW because I rarely edit my photos.    The hot shoe would be nice, but is a compromise I am willing to make. I also like to shoot in macro mode quite a bit so that is a preference but not deal breaker since my iPhone is decent with macros.

In terms of low-light shooting, I've also considered buying a new super-zoom without regard to low-light and then, if I can keep the price down on the super-zoom, buying a pocket camera that has a large aperture just for low-light scenes (if one exists).  In fact, that's why I bought the S95 (actually, I might even have an S120) and the G16.  At one point, I was traveling with the SX40 and either the G16 or the S95/120.

So, with all that information, I am hoping you all can provide some recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Canon EOS 40D Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot G12 Canon PowerShot G16 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon PowerShot SX70
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
rsn
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow